Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Alice


So this is my review of the Syfy original movie Alice. I really enjoyed this movie. Syfy has created some very lame movies but every now and then they do something great (like the Dune movies).
One thing that was very successful about the movie was the overall feeling of wtf. When reading Lewis Carrol's books you are left with moments of "what just happened? Does this have anything to do with the plot?" They were able to capture this with many surreal moments. Sometimes you had the feeling like you might just be close to tripping.
They also did a good job at recreating the characters we all know and love. This Alice is strong and independent but also selfless. The Alice from the books is very selfish. The Mad Hatter is a little out there but no completely mad. The Queen well...she is all about self gratification. I think that my favorite characters were Tweedledee and Tweedledum. They are extremely twisted and insane. One thing that was nice because it is an two hour movie there was a chance for more character and relationship development. This was nice for me because I do love any form of romance.
Overall it was a creative retelling of a beloved classic but brought into a modern light. If you get the chance to see this I highly recommend it. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment